Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Skinned Alive - a slam poem

Loving you makes me feel like I've been skinned alive But not the pain of it, the vulnerability of not having a protective layer of flesh covering my organs And it's ok. I've learned to live with it After all, I have you to protect me now And I have you to make sure that nothing bad happens and I have you to be my skin And it's selfish Using you to protect the rawness of my muscles, bones, and sinew Using you as my shield and putting everything I have From my fucked up nightmares to my made up enemies On your shoulders. You bear the responsibility so well I should feel guilty But before I get carried away with what she thinks, Can I ask why that's so wrong? I am utterly and completely selfishly in love with you. The same as you are with me Because Baby, let me remind you that you were covered in acid when we met It was hot and boiling and tearing you apart but we came together and I distracted it I let it eat at my outsides instead of yours and I dulled all the bad things I made the sting go away And at the same time you taught me how to feel. My skin was so callused and thick, I had forgotten how to contact was so distant. You brought everything closer You taught me how to be alive You taught me how to be together So let's say fuck it all and just be selfishly in love with each other Forget anyone who says that I can't use you as my skin and that you can't let me keep the acid at bay Because face it we both need each other to stay alive And I'm happy.
Aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment